Applications are closed for the 2022-23 season.
In partnership with Women of Winter (WoW), this scholarship program awards Black, Indigenous, Women of Color with an education opportunity to obtain a PSIA-AASI alpine or snowboard Level I certification that will encourage and support BIPOC women to pursue opportunities to teach skiing or snowboarding.
During the 2022-23 season, PSIA-AASI and WoW will host four instructor Level I certification events around the country for Black, Indigenous, Women of Color. Participants must select the location they would like to attend, submit an application, and then will be considered to receive a scholarship to attend one of these events. There are a maximum of six participants at each event.
Dates and Locations
- February 13 – 16, 2023: The Summit at Snoqualmie, Washington (Alpine Level I)
- February 13 – 16, 2023: The Summit at Snoqualmie, Washington (Snowboard Level I)
- March 1 – 4, 2023: Big Sky Resort, Big Sky, Montana (Alpine Level I)
- March 1 – 4, 2023: Big Sky Resort, Big Sky, Montana (Snowboard Level I)
How to Apply
- Review scholarship details.
- Review the application criteria you must meet.
- Review the application materials you need to create and submit.
- Submit your application and materials by, or before, 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time on Monday, Oct. 31, 2022.
- Applications are now closed.
- The deadline to submit is Monday, Oct. 31, 2022.
- Scholarship recipients will be announced on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022.
- Please note. If you apply for and receive a scholarship this season (2022-23) and do not use it this season, you’ll need to reapply for the same scholarship for next season (2023-24).
All scholarship recipients will receive the following:
- All tuition costs associated with the Level I preparatory course and exam:
- Level I event preparation fee
- Level I certification exam fee
- One full season of PSIA-AASI membership dues during the 2022-2023 season (only applicable if you are not a current PSIA-AASI member, dues covered are December 2022 through June 2023)
- Lift tickets for all days of the Level I preparatory course and exam
- Ski or snowboard gear from PSIA-AASI Official Suppliers
- Hard Goods:
- Rossignol: skis / bindings -OR- snowboard / bindings (depending on the exam you sign up for)
- Giro: helmet and goggles
- Leki: ski poles
- Soft Goods
- Phunkshun: facemasks / balaclavas
- The North Face: backpacks
- Terramar: baselayers
- Hard Goods:
- Please note: The scholarship does NOT cover lodging, meals or transportation to and from the event. However, there may be sponsored receptions / meals and / or discounted lodging for each event.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Identify as a Black, Indigenous, Woman of Color or non-binary/gender non-conforming individual comfortable in women-centered spaces.
- Have an interest in working as a ski or snowboard instructor.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities in PSIA-AASI and/or another industry.
- Express interest in pursuing any level certification (in adaptive, alpine, cross country, snowboard, or telemark) or pursuing a specialist designation (in children’s or freestyle).
- Can ski or snowboard comfortably down easy intermediate terrain areas at a ski resort. For example, if you ski, you can make turns with your skis parallel to each other rather than moving down the hill with your skis in a wedge shape (aka snowplough). If you snowboard, you can link your turns, which means you can confidently move from your heel side to your toe side when you move down the hill and make turns on your snowboard.
Applicants must answer the following questions on the Application Form.
- How will achieving a PSIA-AASI Level I certification support your pursuit and passion for snowsports and for educating others about snowsports?
- Women of Winter and PSIA-AASI believe that gender and racial equity in snowsports are incredibly important. Please share why it’s important to you?
- Share how you plan to “be the change” you’d like to see in the snowsports industry to inspire and empower other BIPOC women and girls in your community to get outside and be a part of the movement for diversifying the outdoors.
- Anything else the Review Committee should know about you? Please know you’re welcome to share your LinkedIn profile or Instagram username or anything else that would help the Review Committee learn more about you!
Deadline to Apply: 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time on Monday, Oct. 31, 2022
Scholarships Announced: Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022
Follow us on Facebook: @thesnowpros and @womenofwinterbzn; and Instagram: @thesnowpros and @womenofwinter.