Website Alyeska Resort
Ski or Snowboard Instructor
Don’t let the title of this position scare you away! We receive tons of questions every year from applicants on how they can become a snowsports instructor. If you have ever wanted to spend your season truly enjoying Alyeska Resort, honing your skills, meeting and working with people from all around the world, this is the position for you! Typically, an instructor is an intermediate-level skier/rider, someone who wants to develop his or her skiing or riding abilities throughout the season. They are someone who loves to meet new people and share their passion for the mountain lifestyle.
Our Alyeska in-house training will give you the tools you need to develop your technical and teaching skills as a skier or snowboarder on the mountain. We will develop your people skills in delivering a safe and fun lesson. By January of your first season, you will have the applied skills to be able to test into PSIA-AASI Level 1 Certification.
Essential Duties (but are not limited to):
- Upholding the highest levels of guest safety on varied terrain with constantly changing winter weather conditions.
- Clearly and accurately instructing assigned levels of skiing or snowboarding to students, both physically and verbally.
- Ensuring that students are matched to appropriate skier/snowboarding skill level and working with supervisors/managers to make appropriate changes when necessary.
- Assisting guests with transportation of equipment.
- Assisting guests to load and unload the chairlift.
- Communicating instructions and helping guests to their feet during a lesson; lifting children by the vest (if applicable).
- Supervising children in class at all times; assisting at lunch and snack times; ensuring return of children to identified guardian.
- Assisting in operational responsibilities of Snowsports programs including but not limited to registration process, directing guests to appropriate equipment-fitting source, upkeep of outdoor teaching areas, and cleanliness of facilities.
- High School or Equivalent Education – required.
- Attend Alyeska Snow College – required.
- PSIA/AASI membership – required.
- PSIA/AASI Level 1 in-house certification training attendance- required
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and browser applications; basic Internet navigation- required.
- Must be fluent in all aspects of the English language (spoken and written) required.
- Must have excellent guest service skills- required.
- Must have excellent communication skills- required.
- Must work well in a team environment – required.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather in a mountain environment- required.
- Must have sight, speech, and hearing abilities sufficient to learn skills, follow and provide directions- required.
- Must be available to work holidays and weekends- required.
- Experience working with guests of all ages – preferred.
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring – preferred
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring children – preferred.
To apply for this job please visit www.alyeskaresort.com.