Website Detroit Mountain
The Instructor will provide quality ski or board instruction to groups and individuals in a safe and fun environment while
following all DM standards and best practices. Upholding the highest levels of guest safety on varied terrain with varying
winter weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
- Clearly and accurately instructing assigned levels of skiing to students, both physically and verbally.
- Ensuring that students are matched to appropriate skill level and working with supervisors or seasoned instructors to make appropriate changes when necessary.
- Provide a safe and fun learning environment through exceptional class handling and creativity using our teaching handbook as a guide.
- Assisting in operational responsibilities of Ski programs including but not limited to registration process, directing guests to appropriate equipment fitting source or lesson meeting place, upkeep of outdoor teaching areas and cleanliness of facilities.
- Must be able to discuss the lesson content and evaluate the progress of the lesson with the guest.
- Must have a high level of guest service skills and experience.
- Assisting guests with transportation of equipment.
- Assisting guests to load and unload the chairlift.
- Communicating instructions and helping guests to their feet during a lesson.
- Arrive to work on time prepared for all duties within job description.
- Able to work cooperatively with staff and other departments to ensure safety, security and enjoyment of our guests.
- Knowledge and awareness of the environment. Must be able to make sound decisions based on weather conditions, terrain and temperatures.
- Supervising children in class at all times; assisting at snack times; ensuring return of children to identified guardian (children’s instructors only).
- Must be willing to perform occasional duties with other departments (etc: food & beverage, lift operations).
- Problem solve as needed, seek advice and support from Immediate Supervisor and/or Manager on Duty.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be highly motivated
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, must be friendly, personable and comfortable working with people and have the ability to communicate effectively to groups and individuals as assigned.
- Strong intermediate skier who can make parallel turns on blue terrain
- Must work well in a team
- Must be able to work in inclement weather
- Must be willing to adhere to the DMRA policy of wearing an approved helmet at all times while teaching
- Good Observation skills
- Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule, including evenings, holidays and weekends are required.
- Ability to interact and maintain positive relationships with guests, co-workers and management.
- Must be able to lift, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and reach frequently
- Experience working in the industry is preferred, but not required.
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring
- Experience in working with children
Please apply at https://detroitmountain.com/careers/.
To apply for this job please visit detroitmountain.com.